The Center for Integrated Pest Management at NC State University is hiring up to 3 research assistants to be based in Fort Pierce, FL.
Up to 3 Research Assistant positions are available to work with citrus or other fruit tree diseases and/or insect vector systems to advance basic and applied understanding or the biology, detection, sampling and/or management of associated plant pathogens. The incumbents will be responsible for: (1) Active participation in one or more phases of the research process by performing a variety of microbiological, epidemiological, and molecular techniques for laboratory, greenhouse or field experiments; (2) Independent research design and performance of protocols for molecular and epidemiological studies using specialized equipment such as real-time PCR apparatus, compound and stereo microscopes, and have the ability to adjust protocols and develop new methods when necessary; (3) Independent performance of statistical analyses of experimental data using general statistical packages as well as specific software supplied by the lead scientist, tabulation and summarization of statistical output, preparation of graphical presentation of results and aid in preparation of written reports; (4) work in collaboration with other Biological Scientists and Technicians in conduct of laboratory, field, or greenhouse research, and assurance that they comply with procedures for research conduct under quarantine conditions. The incumbent’s duty station will be the USDA, Agricultural Research Service, U.S. Horticultural Research Laboratory in Fort Pierce, Florida.
A person in one of these positions:
- Actively participates in one or more phases of the research process by performing a variety of complex research duties, in a laboratory, field, or greenhouse environment, common to the assigned area of work, and contributes ideas towards the planning and sequencing of research projects.
- Adapts, modifies or develops new techniques and/or procedures to satisfy the needs of the research project.
- Independently initiates action to resolve or correct technical difficulties and results, or recommends resolution to supervisor.
- Searches for literature pertinent to area of research for new procedures or techniques to use in the laboratory, field, or greenhouse.
- Collects, prepares, evaluates and verifies samples and supporting records.
- Maintains records and locates and compiles data and other information from various sources.
- Keeps detailed records of experimental data.
- Tabulates, statistically analyzes and summarizes data using personal computers and software packages and develops publications in cooperation with PIs.
- Independently goes to the field and/or greenhouse and collects samples.
Go to the job description to learn more about the job and to apply.