This position is in the Northeastern Area, State and Private Forestry, Area headquarters located in Newtown Square, Pennsylvania. This program is designed to provide Federal leadership and assistance to the development and implementation of State Forest Health Protection Programs (FHP) in the 20-States served by the Northeastern Area.
GS-0434- 13 Deadline: December 20, 2016
The FHP position is open to all qualified Forest Service employees. This position provides an excellent opportunity to provide input on current forest health impacts. The incumbent would lead for the Northeastern Area and serve as the Plant Pathologist with responsibilities as described below.
Brief Position Description:
Specific duties include:
- Provide expertise to the Assistant Director as appropriate.
- Support the Assistant Director by proposing and developing approaches to ensure consistency and accountability in Area-wide program implementation.
- Support the Assistant Director in developing draft budget recommendations.
- Compile and analyze program resource information for the Area Director and Assistant Directors. Request performance data and assemble accomplishment reporting to meet national direction.
- Maintain contact with respective WO program staff and counterparts in other Forest Service units nationally as directed by the Assistant Director, although the Assistant Director is the official liaison.
- Track budget advice, and state allocation for the Assistant Director.
- Cooperate with other staff specialists to ensure inter-program consistency in program management approaches.
Duty Station Specifics: Newtown Square, PA
This position is located at the Corporate Campus, #11 Campus Boulevard, in Newtown Square, Pennsylvania, which is on PA Route 3–West Chester Pike, Delaware County, approximately 15 miles west of Philadelphia. The population of Newtown Square is 11,000 and Delaware County is about 550,000.
The immediate area includes suburban living with new housing developments and established communities, an extensive public transportation system including the Philadelphia International Airport, world class performing arts and entertainment, the history and hospitality of the city of Philadelphia right around the corner, excitement of the region’s sports teams, jogging trails and bike paths, and many parks. This Delaware County location boasts of 15 public school districts, countless private and parochial schools, ten degree granting colleges and universities, a junior college, a military college, and a two year community college, with a student body made up of many nationalities and cultures. Six nearby fully accredited quality hospitals, outstanding social service organizations, and exceptional professional health care is readily available. For additional information on Delaware County, please access their Chamber of Commerce website at:
For additional information or for an application, contact Ralph Crawford, Assistant Director, Forest Health Protection and Economics at firstname.lastname@example.org