Your tasks and responsibilities
The primary responsibilities of this role, (Graduate Scholar), are to:
Alternatives for the control of white grubs in lawns and turf grass areas are needed to replace current synthetic insecticides Bayer wishes to meet the desire for increasingly environmentally-friendly / biologically based solutions and continue to provide a solution in these markets. The grad scholar scientist will be a highly motivated, self-starter with knowledge in entomology and the turf grass ecosystem. The successful candidate will be charged with the objective of developing novel grub control solutions and delivering effective control of grubs in turf which meet the regulatory standards for non-chemical products. Specifically, the candidate will identify within Bayer Biologics novel and differentiated target sites and solutions for pest control. Support and increase Bayer Biologics understanding of insect physiology/pathology with an emphasis on coleoptera. Disruption of insect gut function is a promising target for chewing insects that are indirect pests of crop plants.
Additionally, the candidate should complement and synergize the new-target discovery activities of Biologics.
In conjunction with research objectives the candidate will conduct and report on a project designed to discover and generate data on new biological entities to create product(s) for the T&O white grub market globally. This position will be based at Bayer’s facility in West Sacramento, CA.
Conduct and report on a project designed to discover and generate data on new biological entities to create product(s) for the T&O white grub market globally. This position will be based at Bayer’s facility in West Sacramento, CA.
Individuals in this graduate scholar position should expect to be called upon for special projects or assignments;
- Technology Exchange: Represent Bayer ES at technical seminars, association meetings, industry conferences and scientific meetings. Be readily available as a technical resource;
- Trial, Data and Budget Tracking: Utilize the various programs and management systems including data accumulation, budget, time tracking and reporting to ensure efficient and transparent research and development operations;
- Contribute to Designing Protocols: Be knowledgeable about company portfolio gaps, (in particular Crops, Turf and Forestry) and relevant management practices in the industry in order to provide accurate advice and input in designing a project for maximum efficiency;
- Keep abreast of New Industry Developments in the area of white grub control and similar crop pests: Maintain knowledge about existing and new technical developments within the industry, and regulatory and environment changes that may impact the use of new insecticide products;
- Provide Leadership: Demonstrate leadership on special assigned projects by providing assistance to other involved internal and external parties to insure successful completion of the project. Insure that all activities are carried out in a safe and ethical manner;
- Safety: Responsible for safety in handling and storage of microbial products along with first aid practices and proper maintenance of equipment to insure a safe environment to accomplish studies.
Who you are
Your success will be driven by your demonstration of our LIFE values. More specifically related to this position, Bayer seeks an incumbent who possesses the following:
- PhD, Biological Science degree in Molecular Biology, Microbiology, or Entomology is preferred;
- Proficient at standard office computer software (Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Access), able to compile, summarize and publish research material in electronic format. Be able to learn and utilize company data base programs for tracking and summarizing results;
- Understanding of current insect physiology and molecular techniques
- Research experience in laboratory and an understanding of insect physiology /or insect pathology, and molecular biology;
- Ability to conceptualize, design, and execute statistically sound experiments that address appropriate research questions;
- Knowledge of the respective Turf and Ornamental markets with ability to recognize and capitalize upon Bayer Environmental Science product opportunities would be advantageous;
- Innovation including independent and team-based problem solving, generation on new ideas, and application of ideas to company goals;
- Organization including ability to work independently and without supervision, effectively plan and execute own activities, complete assigned projects, accountable for work completed and in progress, seeks efficiencies;
- Ability to deliver technical information/data in a public speaking arena and in training efforts – good presentation skills;
- Has developed a broad range of human relation skills to enable interaction with key university researchers and influencers yet communicate effectively at a practical level with Bayer teams.
- Experience with microbial/biologicals.
- Experience with Coleoptera
Bayer offers a wide variety of competitive compensation and benefits programs. If you meet the requirements of this unique opportunity, and you have the “Passion to Innovate” and the “Power to Change”, we encourage you to apply now. Job postings will remain open for a minimum of ten business days and are subject to immediate closure thereafter without additional notice. To all recruitment agencies: Bayer does not accept unsolicited third party resumes.