The following job opening is for an IPM specialist for a grower in central Virginia. Please click on this link to find out more or to apply.
The local farming operation is a family owned and operated grower/packer/shipper of fresh apples, peaches and nectarines. The family has operated the farms for over 100 years and it’s not uncommon to see three generations working together during the summer months!
They are currently searching for a full-time person to manage and administer their spray program. They are not just looking for another employee, they need someone with a strong work ethic and the skills to match. They like to work hard, get along and treat everyone with respect and authenticity. Ideally they are looking for someone who makes this their last career move and grows long-term with the operation.
In this role, you will work closely with a Partner and Owner as you make daily decisions involving which chemicals are most appropriate for each crop, while implementing IPM and economic factors in the decision making process. The farm uses environmentally friendly integrated pest management practices with timed interventions to minimize the amount of spraying needed for quality fruit in the Virginia humid climate. Candidates should have extensive knowledge and experience in pest control involved in the growing of high quality apples and peaches.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Scouts orchards and monitor crops for insect pests and plant diseases.
- Monitor weather and degree days relating to insect’s pests and plant diseases.
- Be onsite to administer the spray program and answer questions from applicators.
- Work with staff and senior management to accomplish all tasks.
- Insure compliance with all applicable government agencies.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 1-3 years’ experience operating or managing a spray program on apples or peaches with a history of success.
- Ability to be dynamic in a fast-paced environment.
- Self-starter, independent personality, ability to multi-task and manage both short and long-term goals.
- Exceptional computer skills, specifically Microsoft Excel
- Great organization with excellent planning and scheduling abilities.
- Bilingual in Spanish is a plus!